Natural gas is used for heating and laboratory work in many of UMinho’s buildings. Natural gas does not have odour. Therefore, a chemical product is added to the natural gas so it can be quickly detected, enabling the identification of this gas below explosive levels.
• Turn off the gas shut-off valve.
• If possible, open the doors and windows to air the room.
• Do not use matches or lighters or turn electrical switches on/off.
• Inform the command and control centre using the internal emergency number 253 60 10 10:
• Of the nature of the emergency.
• Of your location – building, floor and room.
• Of the number of people present.