In case an act of violence occurs at UMinho’s facilities, the procedures described below can keep you safe.
If you are confronted with someone in possession of a knife or a firearm you must run or hide.
If you are near the incident, run
• If there is a chance to run and escape, leave. This is the first and best option.
• Leave even if other people don't agree with you.
• Leave your personal belongings behind.
• Stop other people from entering the danger zone.
- Call 112 and inform the authorities:
- Of the nature of the emergency.
- Of your location.
- Of the number of people present.
- Of the number of people injured and the type of injuries.
• Inform the command and control centre using the internal emergency number 253 60 10 10.
If the evacuation is not possible, hide. Find a place to hide.
• Lock the door.
• Silence your mobile phone.
• Hide behind solid objects.
• Do not move.
What to report (if known and if you can)
• A specific location – name of the building.
• The number of people present.
• Location, number and description of the assailant(s).
• The number of people injured and the type of injuries.
• The type of weapons used.
• Stay on the line with the 112 operator, if you can do it in a safe and quiet way.